Friday, June 3, 2011

Pentecost and the OT Believers

"It is fair to say that everything said in the New Testament about the Spirit’s work looks forward or traces back to Pentecost; everything pivots on Pentecost (along with the death and resurrection of Christ)." ~ Richard Gaffin, Perspectives on Pentecost (pg. 14)

I just recently finished a class on the Holy Spirit, which I took from the RTS Virtual Campus. Before taking this class I had, from time-to-time, wondered about the nature of the Holy Spirit's relationship with the Old Testament (OT) saints and how His relationship with believers changed at Pentecost. I agree with Gaffin's statement above but I still wanted to know what changed. Since starting this class, that question had come into my mind often and I must admit that I did not have an adequate answer. I also did not really get an answer from the class, at least not a detailed one. So, since this class had a final paper that was 45% of the grade, I decided to do it on this topic so I could (hopefully) get an answer to my question (and hopefully a good grade too). If you have ever wondered that, then you might find this paper helpful. If you do read it, let me know what you think.

By His Grace,
Taylor

No comments: