Thursday, December 13, 2012

Advent: Day 12

The God who became man, the suffering servant, for us is also the God who heals the weak and the hurting. Again, today we are in Isaiah:
1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold,
    my chosen, in whom my soul delights;
I have put my Spirit upon him;
    he will bring forth justice to the nations.
2 He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice,
    or make it heard in the street;
3 a bruised reed he will not break,
    and a faintly burning wick he will not quench;
    he will faithfully bring forth justice.
4 He will not grow faint or be discouraged
    till he has established justice in the earth;
    and the coastlands wait for his law. (Is. 42:1-4)
Matthew tells us in Mt. 12:15-21 that Jesus fulfilled this prophecy too. Jesus came to earth and suffered, so that He could heal our suffering. This doesn't mean all our diseases will be heal, this doesn't mean we will not experience heartache in this world. It does mean that when we are bruised, He will care for us and not let us break. When we are barely burning, He will care for us and not let us be snuffed out. This is why Jesus says to us, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Mt. 11:28) And, soon He will return to take us into the new heavens and new earth where there will be no pain, no crying, no sin, and no death (Re. 21:1-4). That is what the suffering servant secured for His people by becoming man. This is why we can and should celebrate Christmas.

By His Grace,
Taylor

No comments: