Monday, October 29, 2012

Eternal Perspective and Elections

"29This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, 30and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, 31and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away." ~ 1 Corinthians 7:29-31

This past Sunday I preached a sermon at East Lanier Community Church, which I titled "Eternal Perspective Now." And, I am going to preach it again this coming Sunday at East Cobb Presbyterian Church (spoiler alert for my friends who attend E. Cobb). It is not as if I did not have enough time to write another sermon, but since I knew I would be preaching at two different churches the two weeks prior to the election, I felt I could not just ignore the weight of this important civic time. (For those of you who read my previous post, it should be clear that when I say that, I am not talking about making a political statement from the pulpit.) I wanted to remind believers of the bigger perspective that Scripture gives us about our dealings with this world and the things in it. After considering several passages and praying about it, I landed on the above brief passage from 1 Corinthians. If you are interested in hearing the sermon, you can listen to the recording from E. Lanier, or you can read my transcript.

I pray that if you are a child of God, this sermon would encourage you as you think about the future of this country, your life, and all that you have. I pray that it would remind you of the eternal perspective Scripture gives us about our life in this world. I pray that it would remind you that this world is not your home. And, I pray that it would heighten your awareness of the transience of this world and our need to make much of Christ before the unbelieving world.

By His Grace,
Taylor

No comments: