Sunday, February 6, 2011

All I Have is Christ

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will.
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose.
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.
~ "All I Have is Christ" by Jordan Kauflin

Tonight at our evening service our worship leader, Adam Snow, played this song. It was the first time I had ever heard it and I really like it because the first two verses chronicle how we are drawn to Christ by His love, not our choosing, and the last I take to be a prayer for the Spirit to conform us to Christ's likeness so we can be used by God for His glory. My only boast is truly Him, even though I often pridefully, arrogantly find other things to boast in. This song reminds me of a quote by my friend Steve Brown when he was preaching on the prodigal son, "Don't forget the pigs... the further they get away the better they start looking... Always remember where He found you; don't forget the pigs..." If we truly remembered that (essentially the content of the first two verses of this song) our only boast would be Him.

By His Grace,
Taylor

No comments: