Monday, July 7, 2008

Expectations

"We should not expect a 'fair fight' in a secular world that is hostile to God and uncomfortable around the truth of Christ. Therefore, our response to abuse or distortion or slander should not be angry resentment, but patient witness to the truth, in the hope and with the prayer that returning good for evil may open hearts to the truth." ~ John Piper, Tolerance, Truth-Telling, Violence, and Law

This is something I have to remind myself of often when I am frustrated with a politician, writer, journalist, or anyone else who seems to have an overwhelming hatred for Christians. I find myself shocked at times by what I read, hear, or have said to me, but then when I am by myself and really think about it I ask, "Why does this shock you? Christ told you this is what you should expect (Matt. 10:22)."

When I really think about it that way it makes me also think about where I came from. Were it not for grace and God's work of salvation in me, which is "of the LORD" (Jonah 2:9) from start to finish, my heart would harbor that hatred as well. It is not as if I did something to change my heart. Stepping back and thinking about it that way makes it easier to respond with patience and "witness to the truth" though I still am not very good at that. Fortunately grace is not finished (Phil. 1:6).

By His Grace,
Taylor

No comments: